Sweet Farm Tours sustainability message.
At Sweet Farm Tours we are committed to sustainability, innovating and investing to deliver our Ecotourism message with passion. Our Tours are run by Gerard Puglisi, a 4th generation farmer with over 30years experience and has an extensive range of qualifications in the agricultural area with experience in a sugar factories, engineering workshops and industry board representation.
Sweet Farm Tours unique Australian Farm Gate experience offers an educational journey covering everything you ever wanted to know about Australian origin cocoa and a working sugarcane farm, Australian grown Vanilla and a Koala Food Tree Plantation. We believe in the relevance of our topics and the impact of our educational information we provide can increase our guest’s knowledge of agriculture. The sustainability information covered in our tour include:
• Products made from sugarcane.
Did you know that there are around 101 different products that can be made from the Sugarcane plant?
• Bonsucro and SmartCane Accreditation
Bonsucro is an organisation which believes in the power of sugarcane. In fact, we think it can play a valuable role in solving many of the 21st century’s problems. Bonsucro’s vision is a sugarcane sector with thriving, sustainable producer communities and resilient, assured supply chains. Our mission is to ensure that responsible sugarcane production creates lasting value for the people, communities, businesses, economies and eco-systems in all cane-growing origins. Bonsucro’s strategy builds a platform to accelerate change for the largest agricultural commodity in the world – sugarcane.
Smartcane BMP is a world-class best practice system for sugarcane growing in Australia. Industry researchers and sugarcane farmers put together the standards based on productivity, profitability and sustainability. The program is voluntary.
Smartcane BMP is about improving the bottom line of individual cane farms through:
- Solutions to on-farm challenges.
- Access to the latest information and research in sugarcane.
- Identifying latest technology and practices to achieve more with less.
- Proving to community/customers that QLD sugar is produced sustainable
• A Koala Food Tree Plantation is planted at Sweet arm Tours to help feed the Koalas that are keep at Hartley’s Crocodile Adventure’s.
• Pest and Diseases in the Australian Sugar Industry
• Sub Surface Fertiliser application
• GPS guidance in Agriculture
• Hooded Chemical sprayers.
• Environmental friendly tractors.
Sweet Farm Tours Achievements to date
ECO TOURISM ACCREDITED
Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2016, 2017, 2018
2018 Mossman Mill – Young Farmer of the year.
2018 Flight Network – Awarded #1 in the Culinary Delights Section.
WINNER – 2015 Sustainable Farm of the Year (Mossman)
WINNER – 2015 Best Presented Farm
FINALIST- 2014 Premier’s Sustainability Awards – Rural
FINALIST- 2013 & 2014 Diversification Farmer of the Year
FINALIST- 2013 Rural Leader of the Year